Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Kicking the Caffeine Habit

In my last post I explained that I stopped drinking caffeine. In March I started reading in my pre-pregnancy book that you should not drink caffeine while you are pregnant. I have already heard from so many friends and family that when you become pregnant you already feel very tired and worn out because your body is working so hard to grow a baby. I knew I was addicted to caffeine, particularly coffee, but I had no clue how bad it was. I was trying to be smart by kicking my habit even before getting knocked up thinking it would be even more difficult then.

So I decided I would ween myself off of coffee first. My job was ramped up to a completely different level in Nov. 2006. We were planting a church and my responsibilities and work load was almost tripled. I was actually doing about 3 main jobs. I quickly realized that coffee would help me very much through the almost sleepless year. Oh yeah, I also have a part time job in computer work. I know, I'm crazy. So my one cup of coffee in the morning turned into one big cup of coffee in the morning, and then into one really big cup of coffee in the morning (I mean a huge cup of coffee). It is really funny because I kept telling myself - "It's only one cup a day." Yeah Right! It was probably equivalent to 4 or 5 regular cups of coffee. Then I would have another cup in the afternoon/evening if when I had to work really late into the night (which was a lot).

So anyway I began to slowly ween myself off of this irresistible drink which is really just a legal drug. I only allowed myself to have one real cup of coffee in the morning and then a cup of hot green tea in the early afternoon. The next week I had one cup of half-caff in the morning and a cup of hot green tea in the early afternoon. The next week I had one cup of decaf in the morning and a cup of hot green tea in the early afternoon. The following week I only had one cup of hot green tea if I needed it. Then I only allowed myself to have a cup of decaf on Sunday mornings when I had to get up so early for the services. Even though I did this I still had horrible headaches every day for 2 weeks and I was irritable and moody. It was crazy. The thing that really worries me, and makes me realize this is more than just drinking coffee, is that I crave it every day. Fortunately I resist these urges, but not a day goes by that I think just if I could have a cup of coffee. Not to wake up in the morning but just because I want it. I guess this is how it is with any addiction.

I am so glad I quit coffee then. I have not had a cup of coffee in 2 months. Yea! No headaches! And I can wake up in the morning on my own!

1 comment:

Community Service Fast said...

Our non-profit is publishing a book on recovery from caffeine addition. We are looking for stories of recovery from various caffeinated products, including coffee, tea, energy drinks, no doz pills, soda, etc. Authors of the stories will be kept completely anonymous. This book is being written to help others who may be suffering from an addiction to caffeine and may identify with someone's story and seek help. Stories are ideally between 2,000 and 4,000 words total. If you or someone you know has struggled with caffeine addiction, this is a great opportunity to reach out and help others. All participants will receive a free copy of the book, once it is published. Please email us at nocaf4me@xemaps.com or visit www.CaffeineAwareness.org